Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Seriously???

Well, the results are in.  As suspected, and generally assumed, Connor was found to have the characteristics of ADHD.  No shock there.  We'll meet with the experts on Thursday to determine the "what next's" of this.

I've mentioned this in previous posts, but I'll say it again.  Our fear is that Connor will be treated differently, or poorly, because he now carries this label.  It was really more of an intangible fear for us....a general dread.  Until....

I was sitting with a relative the other day, and the subject of the evaluations came up.  This relative, rather brusquely, announced that there really was no such thing as ADHD, it was just an excuse for parents to, and I quote, shove more pills down their kids throats and medicate them to death.  Well, sure.  Of course, aren't all parents out to do just that?  Isn't it our secret goal to create zombie kids?  AMEN, testify!!  Seriously??  This attitude, while I have admitted to having had to some extent early on, is precisely what I am afraid of.  And disturbed by.  I gave myself the benefit of the doubt and did some research, though, and found I was wrong.  Yes, I said that....shut up.  But that's the thing, isn't it?  That is an attitude that a LOT people take.  And that is precisely why I'm writing this blog.  To share the experiences we're having, so that those who take the "see no evil" position maybe can get a little educated.  And to continue to educate myself.

Peace out.

1 comment: